Saturday, October 1, 2011

It’s been a scant few hours since we said goodbye.
the words still hang in the air
like a faint echo in my heart
threatening to overwhelm me
with the sudden stillness.

Never have the words I love you seemed so inadequate
and incomplete,
and yet never have they rung so true.

I lie here in bed with my face buried in the blanket
looking for a trace of you there,
longing for your warmth and comfort
your reassurance.

I already miss your voice,
your quiet strength
and your companionship.

I worry about what will come to be in the months to pass.
Will you decide you don’t need me?
Or want me?
Are you better without me?


So I sit here willing the phone to ring,
knowing it’s late and you’re already gone,
wanting it to be you anyway.

Everything in me is tightening,
curling in around this ache
struggling to hold onto the memory of you,
of us.


You are a piece of me
that I don’t want to let go of…


No comments: